I'm reading Drama High which is a ghetto book with a whole bunch of black characters that are always running into some sort of drama. My emotions for the book are mixed up because I kind of find the language they use is a little of a stereo type. Because the characters at one point say, "Well I'm sorry if I'm too smart to be black..." giving a specific standard of knowledge a black person should meet.
In the book the drama already starts as the first day of school starts as Jecee already wants to start a fight with Jayd for "wanting" her man, which is not true but in fact a rumor. And just a couple of days Jayd, broke up with her boyfriend KJ for cheating on her with her "best friend".
Of course Jayd was not going to get trampled by the crowd so she stood up for herself.
At home though her Mama is a witch or something, where she creates potions that actually work. REALLY???? I find that kind of dumb to write in because it just makes the book way more fake than realistic.
I do think that the setting of the book has a lot of meaning, because these people are at a "white" school but there are a whole bunch of African Americans that have been placed there to stop the ghetto black community, but in a way they are still there trying to fight it. I think it is more Ironic more than 1 family had this idea so that a whole crowd of ghetto students ended up in school. I also think that setting has to do with background. If you look closely at the text there are a lot of broken families, whether or not you were born from a broken relationship or from one that broke due to you, or one that broke after you were born. This kind of unites us readers because there are mostly people that come from failed relationships that struggle, but I also think it gives us a clue of what the author's purpose of writing the book was.
No comments:
Post a Comment